Success is great, but failure is EASIER! Come on… I know you can do it. Here’s how:
1. Be filled with doubt. Cultivate it at every step, looking for reasons why you will fail, why your business plan won’t work, why effort is fruitless and hopeless. People who are successful want that success, they dream about it, breath it, live it in their minds over and over before it happens in real life. When successful people feel doubt trying to creep in, they stamp it out faster than a cockroach in their kitchen. No wonder why they succeed. If you’re going to fail and fail big, you’ve got to be sure you’re filled with self-doubt from the time you get up until you fall asleep at night.
Whatever you do, do not listen to or read positive messages, do not become enthusiastic, and try your best not to be happy. Just sit in the corner quietly with your milk and a giant box of cookies (or your beer and burritos) and don’t come out of that corner until you’ve convinced yourself that you’re a big fat failure who will never succeed at anything. Remember, negative self-talk is crucial to your failure. If you let positive self-talk creep in, you may accidentally succeed, and then where would you be?
2. Be a vacillating slick willy. Don’t stick to one plan. Do NOT make any decisions. Do not move in one direction – move in all directions at once. Buy every ebook and program out there on how to be successful online, and then don’t even read them. If you do read them, bounce from one to the next without doing anything. Change your mind every week on your course of action. When you’ve mastered this, begin changing your mind every day. Aim to change your mind hourly, because this is the pinnacle of failure.
Here’s the monkey mind chatter to strive for: “Should you do this or do that or do this and that or that other thing or what about this hey I could do the thing over there but whoa, what’s this? Maybe I should do this – what do you think?”
Go ahead and second, third, fourth and fifth guess yourself silly and until your mind is numb and all you can do is veg out in front of the TV. Above all else, do NOT make one plan and stick to it – that’s the kiss of success and you do not want that.
3. Turn your obstacles into failures. Those stupid successful people are always taking their obstacles and turning them into triumphs. When their new website isn’t cutting it, what do they do? Fix it until it’s making sales, or start over and find a way to make it successful. That’s crazy! And it’s also more work, and who needs that? If you should accidentally actually DO something like build a new website, hope that it just sits there and gets moldy. That way you can heave a big sigh and say that “you tried” as you drown your sorrows in hops at the local pub.
Above all else, when you run into an obstacle do NOT take a step back and decide on your best course of action – this often leads to success. Do not decide that if this way didn’t work, there must be a better way. And do not tell yourself that you just found one way that doesn’t work, and you’re that much closer to finding a way that does work. Instead, throw up your hands, say that Internet Marketing doesn’t work because it’s all just a big scam, and give up.
4. Reinvent the wheel. If there is already a proven method for accomplishing something, ignore that method and go invent a new one. For example, there are all sorts of ways to successfully drive targeted traffic to websites, and these methods are used everyday by millions of online marketers. Do NOT use these methods! Instead, invent an entirely new method. This will take up lots of your time and probably lots of your money, too.
Plus the odds of it working are miniscule to none, so you’re almost guaranteed to fail. See how easy it is to avoid success? Simply thumb your nose at anything that’s proven to work and strike out to find an entirely new method to fail. (I have this traffic idea, by the way, which involves 3 dairy cows, a radial antennae and a photo of a Topeka Taco Stand – I’ll let you know how it works out.)
5. Indulge in plenty of delusions of grandeur. Your product is going to be the biggest thing since the iPod only it’s going to be BIGGER because even the tribesmen of the rainforest will be buying this up faster than blow darts and you’re going to get so much free publicity that Oprah is going to do a 1 hour prime time special just on you and your product and cripes, even your own MOTHER will love it, and she hates everything!
Whew. In your quest for Internet marketing failure, feeding these festering frenzied fantastic feats of glory will take up a major share of your time. After all, if you’re daydreaming you’re not working. You’re also not looking at the real world issues of whether or not there is actually a demand for your new discount concrete billy bob beer and crumpet party statues. One of the fastest ways to failure is to devise a product no one but you desires – and then spend your time daydreaming about the fortune you’re about to make.
Besides, this is all about failure. What are you doing dreaming about making fortunes anyway?
6. Be careless. Sure your ghostwriter just submitted the new product to you – just go ahead and launch it without reading it, right? Of course! How else are you going to miss the glaring error on page 42, or the fact that she omitted the entire key section people are dying to read?
Look, if you attend to details and make sure everything is in order prior to launch, you might actually be successful. So when your programmer sends you that new software, don’t check it, don’t click any links and do not test it. Just assume it’s good enough and start selling – you may do enough damage to your reputation to ensure future failure on a permanent basis.
7. Be lazy. Go watch TV, stay in bed, play video games, whatever. Just do NOT go to work on your business because you might actually accomplish something. Pity all those successful people who spend hours upon hours working on their business – no wonder why they are confined to making money, getting accolades and being successful. If they only knew how easy it is to fail they would just stop accomplishing stuff.
8. Be sick. That’s right – how can you succeed if you’re sick all the time, right? So go ahead and eat that junk food. Stay up all night. Drink until you puke. And above all do NOT exercise. Exercise is shown to increase your health in a thousand and one different ways, including making you THINK better.
And if you’re thinking better, you’re probably realizing this entire article has been utterly ridiculous – after all, you already know how to fail. Everyone knows that. And while it does take some effort to fail, it’s well worth it. How else can you lay on your death bed one day, wishing you’d achieved your goals instead of being a doubt-filled, vacillating, failure seeking, wheel reinventing, delusional, careless, lazy, sick, almost-was Internet marketer?
Yes, there is a #9 – and that’s to go do the OPPOSITE of all the opposites I just wrote about. Success isn’t hard – you just need to get busy NOT doing all the things we’ve just covered here.
There is a saying that goes like this: ‘practice makes perfect’ Athletes build their strength and skill by practicing. They reach plateaus and if they keep their momentum going consistently, they continue to move forward in their skill. It is the same with marketing as you are building and sustaining momentum by constantly taking action to promote your home business.
Artists also keep practicing and learning techniques. In the military they continually test their endurance and develop their skills using weapons and hand-to-hand combat. Marketing is very much the same in that the more we practice by taking action, the better we will get at doing what we must do.
In building momentum another way this is important is that most people will not respond. This is your challenge. Don’t become discouraged or give up. You have to increase your efforts and have enough volume that those people won’t matter. Eventually you will learn to focus only on the ones that do take action and respond. They are the ones that will help you build your business over time. In any case you just need to keep pushing forward no matter what it seems like.
It is easy to lose your way when you elaborate on that you may not see any positive results in the beginning (because you haven’t got the momentum yet). This is normal. However, normal is not always right – in fact often it isn’t right at all. Catching a cold is normal, but it’s not good for anything, and we just want to get rid of it because it is annoying.
Sometimes we must take special steps to ensure that we don’t allow ourselves to get discouraged and stop trying. We may have to talk to ourselves continually to guard against negative thoughts and feelings. If you don’t stop them they will become an attitude. If you make a conscious effort to combat them they will stop eventually. Replace them with something which is positive and focus only on that until you are feeling better.
You can visualize the beauty that is always here even when you are personally not feeling well. There is nature – the sky, the water, fresh air, the trees and flowers. There is much good for everyone to share. Think about how lovely it is. Think about people who make you feel good, or your family that love you. You can take a minute or two to remember things you have accomplished that made you a winner. Like starting an online home business!
Remain focused on your target goals. In this case it is to create a profitable business via Internet marketing. Realize that you may have to ‘wash, rinse, and repeat’ over and over and over again before you will start to see any results. Understand that is just how it is. It’s how it usually works and you shouldn’t get in a rush or feel that you are failing. It should make you try even harder.
Internet marketing is something that needs to be done aggressively and consistently over time to build and sustain momentum. Marketers can never rest on their laurels because they will quickly fall behind and go to the bottom of the pile. That’s marketing anything not just business opportunities or products online.
There are many failures because people believe they can do something once or twice and that they are going to make a profit as a result. If they don’t see anything right away, they quit trying because they think it is pointless. It’s really sad that some people do not think things through. Other than a phony magic show where do they get the idea things just pop out of hats?
There is a list of reasons why people don’t try hard enough and most are avoidable. The reason that you always need to keep the volume of your promotions turned way up, is that marketing is a bit like ‘finding a needle in a haystack’. The majority of people around the globe are not interested in starting an online business or for that matter buying anything. It is just as likely there are those who are, and you just need to find them.
The statistic that is used for many marketing businesses is a 1-2% response rate being considered pretty good for example for eMail marketing. Note that ‘response’ can be just an inquiry and does not necessarily represent a sales transaction, so the percentage would be even smaller for actual sales.
Spammers have caused a huge problem for eMail services that are forced to use spam filters. Unfortunately the spam filters are frequently blocking legal bulk mail from businesses (and the spam is still in your inbox). The filters apparently often can’t differentiate between the two. They are amazingly unsophisticated for this day and age. Sadly your message may go to spam and never be seen.
Ethical online businesses would likely only use permission-based eMail . This means that you have to request a business to send their publication to you by ‘opting in’. Often blocked by spam filters but maybe not. eMail is invaluable to Internet marketers, regardless of the problems. You just need to allow that there is nothing we can do except accept that we are starting at a deficit thanks to evil spammers.
Don’t feel sorry for them – remember they are really not trying to do business with you. They are about disrupting business by creating chaos. Many people being inundated with spam after a while will realize it is futile to try to keep up with it and will stop opening most of their mail. Hopefully they will recognize your return address and since they signed up to receive mail from you, they will read it.
Hence, whatever you do in this regard, whether it is using list builder systems, sending solo ads, or buying leads, you should realize that you will need many on an ongoing basis to make up for those that will be lost. Remember not to get discouraged or blame the program or product you are advertising if you don’t get a response right away. Keep trying.